Flares in flames, clubbers evacuated

Written by News

Flares, a popular nightclub among Newcastle students, was evacuated early Wednesday morning when the air conditioning caught fire. 

Three fire brigades were sent to Mosley Street at 12:14am. The fire was believed to be accidental and no further investigations are taking place. According to a Tyne and Wear Fire Rescue Service spokesperson, the ground floor and basement obtained some light smoke damage but the rest of the property was unaffected. 

The nightclub is known for being polarising among Newcastle’s student body. Many fans of Flares have expressed their disappointment on Newfess, a popular anonymous confessions page. One student joked that if €100 million was donated to rebuild Notre Dame then someone should be able to donate the money to rebuild Flares, and another asked if the club burning down was enough of an excuse to submit a PEC form. Not as much of a fan, another poster joked that the incident was “the best thing that has ever happened to Newcastle”. 

Flares has thanked people for the “love and support” on its Facebook page and stated that it hopes to be back open soon.  

Last modified: 30th May 2019

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap