On campus, the NU Christian Union Society’s week-long event “Only Human” is currently in full swing. Running from today (Monday 12th February) until Friday (16th February).
Each day, the society is running a free lunch time event in the Boiler Room, during which students across campus are encouraged to join in and raise their own questions surrounding Christianity and what it is to be human.
In addition, throughout each day, a free cafe will run inside the Boiler Room, which will act as a safe space for students to be able to hang out, chill and interact with one another. Those who attend will also be able to join in with a range of activities set up by the society.
Each evening the society has set up a range of talks and entertainment for students to enjoy and participate in. Each evening session hopes to further question how we define humanity with an emphasis on Christianity. Students who participate in the evening sessions will also be treated to a free two-course meal. Each evening is again open to all students on campus, not just those involved within the Christian Union.
Each day of the event brings with its self a theme, set to question our definitions of humanity and in some instances, its relation to religion. A full list of themes includes:
- Monday – Accepted – Is it only human to want to be accepted?
- Tuesday – Free – Is it only human to want to be free?
- Wednesday – Fulfilled – Is it only human to want to be fulfilled?
- Thursday – Healed – Is it only human to want to be healed?
- Friday – Alive – Is it only human to want to be alive?
The society will also look to explore questions that are often posed to critique Christianity, encouraging students to debate and challenge their views on the subject. During each day the following questions and themes will also be discussed:
- Monday – Fabricated – Does the bible belong on the fiction shelf?
- Tuesday – Killjoy – Won’t Christianity rob my freedom?
- Wednesday – Arrogant – How can Christianity claim to be the only way?
- Thursday – Broken – Where is a good God in a world of suffering?
- Friday – Unjust – How can a loving God send good people to hell?
Students of all faiths and religions are welcome to get involved during the course of the week, regardless of their faith or beliefs. For more information please visit the Only Human website or Facebook page.
Last modified: 12th February 2018